Friday, February 24, 2012

Yee Chinese/Japanese restauarant...?

I just came back from Puerto Rico and had a great time. I stayed for 5 days and 4 nights and I must say I had some great food and I had some really really bad food. I expected to pay a premium for my dinning ( I was staying at the San Juan Marriott), but having paying over $90 for two at a Chinese restauarant is insane.



The restaurant is called JH Yee. It is right next to the Marriott and it has Chinese food and Japanese Hibachi. My wife and I decided we wanted to eat chinese one night to see what is the difference from NY style compared to the way they make it in PR. We ordered a drink each and two japanese rolls as apps. Then we decided to order a "Surf %26amp; Turf" off the chinese menu. It cost $39 and we assume that it can feed two of us. In NY, a standard surf and turf consist of a nice 16 ounce steak and usually a lobster tail. What we got surprised the heck out of us. The surf was 6 pieces of battered lobster and the turf was like 10 to 12 pieces of steak tips. I this normal?Yee Chinese/Japanese restauarant...?
It is normal. I live in Camuy and my hubby just paid $30 for a tiny "mush" of lobster. It wasn't even the whole thing! There aren't many chinese/japanese restaurants here on the island and most of the asian people are from here. Like 6-7 generations or something. Anyways, the asian people here speak better spanish than puerto ricans sometimes. What you think you are getting at a restaurant is nothing more than a different style of criollo cooking (home cooking) beware the next time you return. Visit some of the smaller kiosks and have some real puerto rican cuisine (the kind that only costs $1 - $2) you'll be sorry if you don't!
Next time if you want real good food in eat at the italian restaurant and the hotel you stayed and for great japanese high priced but excellent go to Yamato at hotel san juan.Yee Chinese/Japanese restauarant...?
You should not expect any bargain when you travel. Safety, cleaniness are very important. I personally think McDonalds is the best choice for travellers. Restaurants besides Marriott hotel expects to get customers from the hotel. Most likely locals don't go there for dinner. Also property lease for restaurants near Marriott hotel is high. Price is determined by supply and demand. In NY, there are too many Chinese restraunts competing for customers; While in Puerto Rico, especially closes to Marriott hotel, how many Chinese restaurants are there?
Not neccesarily but i guess that restaurant serves that way. That really sucks! I hope it tasted good after paying all that money, uff...
Unfortunately that's what happens in touristic areas. Yes...it is kind of normal since it is located at a major touristic spot full of restaurants, nightclubs, and hotels. But I am glad that you had a great time anyway!

1 comment:

  1. It’s amazing post. we are Really Appreciates your thoughts and Services.Keep it up

    ReplyDelete