Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What am I missing, being white (a question to the Chinese)?

I know there are two menus in Chinese restaurants, the one I get and the one people of the right skin color; and I like the menu they give me just fine, except gai lan is usually not on that menu. what other delectable dishes am I missing out on because most gwai lo probably wouldn't appreciate them|||When I lived in San Francisco many Asian restaurants have two menus, one in English, sometimes 'fractured' and one in their native language. It's my understanding that the only difference is THAT, one's in English and one's in their native language.


Why would they restrict someone from purchasing their food?


Perhaps when people of any 'colour' are familiar with the foods they can order a beautiful and meaty large steamed carp covered with confetti veggies in a black bean sauce, as we were once, with shrimp and scallops done in a complimentary manner on the large centrepiece platter - one of the best dinners I've ever had! The Asian hosts knew exactly what and how to order. It was quite expensive, but if I went back even I, as a 'round eye', could order the same thing.





.|||Depends on the regional cuisine that restaurant is specializing in. (cantonese, szechuan, taiwanese)|||You have to be kidding me. They have two sets of menus? What do you mean about the "right" skin color? That is crazy. Just order your broccoli or go to a different restaurant.|||I know what you mean... we order off the English menu and see people ordering off the Chinese menu.


They get stuff that looks different and delicious.





Usually we ask what that is... and order the same. One time has a waitress told us, "you wouldn't like it" and refused to take our order for the dish... needless to say, we never went back to that restaurant again and refuse to go out of principle.|||Depends on the restaurant but usually the Chinese menu contains the authentic dishes, whereas the English menu is the stuff Americans normally expect at a Chinese restaurant.





The authentic dishes include things like side-dishes or dim-sum items like green onion pancake with scrambled egg, or fried pig intestines, oyster pancake, jellyfish, etc.





In some ways, it's assumed that Americans just won't like these dishes, so they aren't listed on the English menu.





If you're feeling adventurous, ask the waiter to recommend 3 or 4 side dishes from the Chinese menu. Or go with a Chinese friend and only order off the Chinese menu.|||I'm not too familiar with the two menus things, but that's probably because their other menu is in Chinese. I know a lot of Chinese restaurants however offer menus in Chinese with the English translation on the bottom. I guess it depends on where you go.





There's so much delicious food in Chinese cuisine, and there are also different types of Chinese cuisine, Shanghai, HK style, Chiu Chow, Szchezuan. etc.





In Shanghai restaurants, which I'm actually not particular to, I love eating something called Siu Lung Bao. It's basically a meaty dumpling that's filled with soup, be careful when you bite into it, as the soup inside is hot!





Hk style fast food restaurants are good for almost everything they serve, it's quick and delicious.


Try a beef congee! There's also a type of fried rice with chicken and salted fish bits, if you like Chinese salted fish, you'll love this.|||I've been to many Chinese restaurants, and they all have one menu for everyone. This menu lists all of the food the restaurant offers in English, French, and Chinese.





I have never heard of a Chinese restaurant giving Chinese and non-Chinese two different menus with different lists of food.|||The only difference on the menu is the language., many Chinese still can't read English. Even the same dishes on the menu can cooked different style like like dry, with gravy, hot, mild, or add different ingredient. My advice to you, If next time u in the restaurant when u see some dishes u like to try out , ask the server the name of the dish and Chinese style of cooking, write it down.





Only problem many of the Chinese waitress and waiter when they see a white people they don't care, either they don't want spend time to explain to you , or they don't know how, and the owner care is how much they can rack in for the night so can laugh all the way to bank the next day,otherwise they cry all day long how slow business were. That is part of Chinese uncivilized culture, as Chinese can not stand another Chinese


Any asholes think this is racist,U need ur head examine|||I like chinese food, and I think I know several regions, some you never heard off unless you have lived in China. There are lots of chinese restaurants in China.LOL. Is there a different menu in western restaurants probably not. but the fact is they are in business of making money so the food is bastardized to fit western tastes. When Chinese order it can take longer than eating the actual meal. each dish is discussed to determine the way it is cooked and could they do that, or that. Western people are not comfortable with that. The chinese waitresses and waiters wouldn't mind at all a long discussion. I never look at the menu anymore. I try and find an english speaking wait staff, let them know I am not interested in the "western chinese" and are they willing to help me out If yes I am in business if no, I am out of there. then I basically tell them I am in mood for something like XXXX and they say we could do this or that. If I am stuck I tell them make something close to this or this. No two restaurants make the same dish the same way although the basics are there, like there is a chicken in it. Some traditional stuff they have is kind of expensive sometime.because the ingredients come from far away. Let me tell you, you need to develop a taste for and avoid gag reflex when ordering a sea cumber dish, but it is supposed to be good for your manhood etc. best thing is get a chinese speaking friend and have a great time. Sometimes Ill walk in and see the cook staff all hunched over eating soup full of veggies, Ill have one of those, its delicious authentic and cheap. probably made from left over food. Chinese wait staff love western people they just order off the menu in about 35 seconds. which beats 30 minutes from a chinese family. And its no different than going to an Italian restaurant where you find alfredo but are in the mood for carbonara. Just ask you will receive, ordering off the menu. Education of course helps. I have brought pictures of something and they bring into the kitchen have a wild discussion for five minutes and come back and say they know what it is, its not their style of cooking (they don't have some ingredients) but a restaurant a mile away has it. don't worry we will order it for you and get it over here. Love the chinese. The other thing I like is that they a never full, they always make room, even if share a table with the Wu family. of parents and four kids.Ask and you shall receive and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment