Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Deep-fried shredded chicken in black bean sauce - A question for our Chinese respondants.?

Now then, deep-fried shredded chicken in black bean sauce is my favourite food but I have noticed from years of ordering it in various different Chinese restaurants that Chinese opinion is very divided as to whether this dish should exist or not.





Sometimes when I order it in a restaurant, the dish is on the menu and no-one bats an eyelid about me ordering it. However, in other restaurants, when I order it, the waiter is surprised and almost incredulous that I had ordered such a thing. It is as if they cannot conceive of the shredded chicken being put together with that sauce, although they have it with plenty of other sauces on the menu, and they have the black bean sauce in plenty of other dishes. I often have to repeat the order because they think they have not heard me correctly!





My question is, therefore, does anyone know why this might be the case? Is there a traditional divide that might make Chinese restaurant averse to serving it? Is it a speciality of one province?|||Hey, I keep on watching and watching for an answer; I want to know too! Great question and I'd like to order this dish too!





.

No comments:

Post a Comment