Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Going to eat a Mexican Restaurant with my Chinese Mother, what should she get?

She's kind of like the classic asian women, where she doesn't really eat anything but chinese. She wants to try something new, so I suggest Mexican. What should she order from this menu:





http://www.lahaciendarealonline.com/dinn鈥?/a>





She doesn't really like cheese...|||Thumbs Special.





That menu doesn't look very safe for a Chinese who really doesn't eat anything but authentic Chinese foods. There are very few very safe dishes on that menu.





Safe dishes:


1) Medio Pollo Asado. Originally, I was going to recommend Pollo Asado but I noticed it was made with chicken breasts and most Chinese prefer dark meat. So, Medio Pollo Asado will be a better choice. She will most likely not like the rice and the refried beans on the side. If I were you, I'll try to replace refried beans with french fries. 80% safe.





2) Fajitas. Chicken and shrimp will suit Chinese better. Out of the two, I think chicken will be safer. 80% safe.





3) Coctel de Camaron. Not all Chinese could handle raw onions and not all Chinese like raw tomatoes. If you think she don't mind those, this one could be safe. Overall: 60%.





4) Mojarra Frita. If the fish leaves the kitchen bland and you'll need to sprinkle salt on it, many Chinese would not like it. Overall: 50% safe.





Things to avoid: Corn tortilla, refried beans, sour cream, dishes were covered in a lot of thick sauce, dishes that contained a lot of spice, dishes that were covered in a lot of cheese, dishes that tasted too buttery, and dishes that looked a little too "busy" (Just take a look at the dishes displayed on the last page. Most dishes on that page looked "busy".) What I just said will not apply to all Chinese. The list will work pretty well on older and slightly older Chinese from mainland China. If your mom is from Hong Kong, Singapore/Malaysia or other locations, the list will need to be modified slightly.|||There's seafood on the third page. Have her try the Tacos Pescados (fish tacos) or the Camerones Mexicanos (prawns).





Buen provecho (enjoy your meal in Spanish).|||That's a huge menu! Took me a while to find it, but I was sure they did. I wanted to recommend it when I first read the question but had to ensure they had it





Chicken en mole|||The fajita trio sounds good or maybe the shrimp cocktail with a side of guacamole. Make sure to tell the waiter no cheese. ENJOY|||fajitas !!! just make sure she pronounces it fa-hee-tah and not fah-jih-tah! lmao... I Cant tell you how many times that happen to me working at don Pablos|||A dish with rice :]

No comments:

Post a Comment